Yahoo CEO’s Codes to Live By
Marissa Mayer has been the Yahoo CEO for over two years. She has the technical expertise to understand the computer science behind the Yahoo environment, although, she was the first female engineer employee at Google.
As the Yahoo CEO, Mayer has been responsible for bringing on social startup Tumblr and will champion the merger with one of China’s biggest e-commerce providers, Alibaba.
Mayer has access to tons of insight and lessons as the Yahoo CEO, which most people will never experience.
Here are five quotes from the executive that will have you thinking about your big vision of leadership and business.
1. I always did something I was a little not ready to do. I think that’s how you grow. When there’s that moment of ‘Wow, I’m not really sure I can do this,’ and you push through those moments, that’s when you have a breakthrough.
Most successful and highly influential entrepreneurs believe that thinking big and pushing yourself beyond your comfort zone is the key to unusual breakthroughs in life. Mayer believes in this ideology. How can you achieve a breakthrough? What barriers can you bust through in your business?
2. I have a theory that burnout is about resentment. And you beat it by knowing what it is you’re giving up that makes you resentful.
At some point in our lives we all face burnout, but Mayer has a thought-provoking point. Strive to identify what the missing link is and incorporate some parts of that into the way you do things.
3. If you can find something that you’re really passionate about, whether you’re a man or a woman comes a lot less into play. Passion is a gender-neutralizing force.
Go for what you’re passionate about no matter what it is and who you are. As Mayer says, it’s the great equalizer.
4. You can be good at technology and like fashion and art. You can be good at technology and be a jock. You can be good at technology and be a mom. You can do it your way, on your terms.
Never let one thing about you define who you are. Human beings have complex characters and often where talents and passions meet is where the wonder happens. Mayer has a passion for technology and a talent for aesthetics.
5. It’s really wonderful to work in an environment with a lot of smart people.
Surround yourself with people who are better than you and reshape your ego. An environment of brilliant people will bring about amazing results and change. Mayer knows it and says it’s wonderful.